The Safari web browser will automatically download any files to the Downloads folder of the active Mac user account. Most of the Mac users are ok with that. But nowadays, some of the Mac users are reporting that they want to change the file download directory in Safari for Mac OS into another directory. So if you are also want to change the Safari download destination, you may want to revert to the default download folder for Safari on the Mac system.
This post will clear your thesis concerns. Here, you will see how to change the Safari downloads location in Mac OS. You can quickly turn it into any other directory or folder you have access to. Even, you will also be able to revert to the default Safari downloads destination of the user Downloads directory.
You need to go on your Mac to make this adjustment will change where all downloaded files from the Safari web browser. It will not affect any other software and where they download files.
Steps to Change the File Download Location in Safari on Mac:-
- To start this process, you need to launch the “Safari” web browser on your Mac
- (if you have not done so already).
- Then scroll down the “Safari” menu and select the“Preferences” option.
- After that, you will move to the “General” tab and then search for the “File Download Location” section.
- Then click on the Downloads drop-down menu option.
- Now, you need to select the “Other” option to change the downloads destination in Safari.
- They move to the directory where you want Safari to download files to and then choose the “Select” option.
- After completing the process, you need to return from Safari.
- Now, you will see all of the downloaded files or folders from Safari will move to the folder or directory which you have selected.
- For example, if you have selected the Desktop, then all Safari downloaded files will move to the desktop of your Mac.
Please note- This process will work for Safari downloads and files going forward, any data downloads before this change was made would show in the location set before any adjustment. If you are not sure for your downloaded file location on your Mac from safari, then you can search on the Mac by using the file name.
To check this, you need to click on the magnifying glass button in the Safari Downloaded Items List. For manually the user Downloads folder or whatever you had/have selected as the Safari download location.
Steps to Change Back to the Default Download Location in Safari on Mac OS:-
If you have already selected the location of your Download directory away from the default (~/Downloads) and to another directory, then you can change it back quickly. To do this, you need to follow below given some simple steps.
- Open the Safari browser and move to the “Safari” menu.
- Here you need to select the “Preferences” option.
- Go to the“General” tab and search for the “File Download Location” section.
- Then click on the Downloads drop-down menu and then select the“Downloads” option.
- If you do not get the “Downloads” files in the drop-down menu, then select the “Other” option.
- Then move to your user Home folder and then select the “Downloads” from there.
- After completing the process, you can exit out of Safari.
- Now you will see the Safari downloaded file destination directory will be reset to default ~/Downloads folder on your Mac system.
Suggestion- This post is helpful for both regular Safari and Safari Beta, as well as the Safari Technology Preview builds. However, the download settings are same of both but it is slightly different if you happen to be running Safari on a Windows PC but since that Windows-specific program build is no longer actively designed, its usage is debatably more limited.