Sometimes, if any user is receiving Comctl32.ocx file is missing or invalid user or failed to load error, or might not correctly register, the user might need to download the file again and re-register the file again. Generally, the error message received by the users would be:
Component comdlg32.ocx or one of its dependencies that is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
If the error message you received is similar to the above-given message, then you may need to fix this issue by following few methods. The methods are discussed below.
Steps to Fix Comctl32.ocx File is Missing or Invalid Error
The Comctl32.ocx is a Visual Basic Runtime file, and by default, it is not a part of the Windows 10 operating system. Preferably, any application which is needed by any users, then it will install that it as a part of their package. However, sometimes the file might get corrupted or not get registered in the computer system. If you are frequently facing this issue, then you need to download the file and then re-register the ocx file.
We explain a few methods to fix this issue; you can choose one of them from them if that one is not working then try another one. Out of all methods, one will surely work on your computer system. The methods are discussed below:
Method-1: Download the Comctl32.ocx File
- If the Comctl32.ocx file is corrupted, or the software does not automatically push its installation, then you can also download it direct from the website of the Microsoft manually.
- Once your package has been downloaded, now need to extract the comctl32.ocx file from the downloaded package and finally copy paste it in the needed folder.
- By using Windows 64-bit, move towards the location C:\Windows\SysWOW64 in the Explorer.
- Now, paste the file in the SysWOW64
Note: if you are using Windows 2-Bit, then you need to place it in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
- It will ask you that whether you want to override the previous file, then click on Yes option.
Method-2: Re-Register the Comdlg32.ocx File
Here, you need to re-register the comdlg32.ocx file, for this:
- Look for Command Prompt in the Windows search bar and right-click on the result.
- Choose Run as Administrator option.
- Now, an elevated command prompt window will automatically open on your screen.
- Next, type the following command:
- regsvr32 comctl32.ocx
- Click on the Enter tab to continue the process.
- Finally, restart the system and check whether the error is solved or not.
Stephen Strange is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cybersecurity, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup